<$BlogRSDUrl$>

BuffaloBandit's Blogtastic Blog
The best nonsense on the Web and various other gimcracks and gewgaws.

4.13.2004

Tuesday (or as I like to call it, "Rant-day") 
It's Tuesday and the weather sucks... but while the weather outside may be frightful, this blog is so delightful... and since you've no place to go, check out this rad map of the DC blog scene. Also, while you're checking out the map, please refrain from using your cellphone, because a recent study was conducted as to why it's more annoying to hear someone on a cellphone than having a face-to-face conversation. You wouldn't want to be annoying, would you?
Summary:
Bystanders rated mobile-phone conversations as dramatically more noticeable, intrusive, and annoying than conversations conducted face-to-face. While volume was an issue, hearing only half a discussion also seemed to up the irritation factor... more
It's not a terribly interesting study, but at least it proves I'm not the only one annoyed by cellphones. The one thing I'm surprised at though, and what I think the most irritating thing about people on cellphones is that they don't shut up. I mean, a conversation usually involves two people talking to each other. However, most people I hear on a cellphone don't shut up long enough to take a breath, let alone let the person on the other end get two words in edge-wise! Also, when people are in kindergarten, they learn about indoor voices, but somehow when people get on a cellphone they forget about quiet time and decide that they have to shout so loud that the person on the other end of the line can hear them without the phone! It annoys me so much. Cellphone companies should monitor calls and measure the decible level. If it gets too high, charge them noise fees. I bet that would whip people into shape. Oh, and don't think you can escape my wrath by claiming you only talk on your cellphone in the privacy of your own car, because even though I may not hear you... I see you... and you're not paying attention! Stay out of my crosswalk!